From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 10:28:58 CDT

Teresa,
  At present VMD doesn't have a built-in rate control mechanism
for controlling rendering speed, it attempts to render the scene as
fast as the graphics board will allow it to. I'll take this as a
feature request. Even with a rate control mechanism, one can
normally only provide a guaranteed upper bound on rendering speed,
but not a lower bound, at least without level-of-detail and other
features which usually don't work well with dynamically changing
datasets at atomic resolution :-)