From: Chaitanya Krishna A (icymist82_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 00:04:34 CDT

Hi all,

I have a small problem. I am not much into molecular
dynamics yet. But I have just started writing my own
coded to some simple simulations of Ar and a binary
mixture.

I am also quite new to using VMD.

I am using VMD to play the trajectory of my 864 atom
Ar system.

The way I am doing it is as follows:
After the simulation I have all the coordinates of all
the 864 atoms for all the time steps sequentially in
the xyz format. I am using babel to convert into the
pdb format and then invoking VMD with the command
$ vmd <pdb file name>
Now it loads all the frames and then I use the movie
maker to make the movie of the trajectory of the 864
atoms. VMD makes an mpg movie.

The problem is that when I play the mpg movie that VMD
makes, it runs very fast before one can actually
realise what is happening. I have been using xine to
play the movie. It would be nice if someone can
suggest how I can slow down the speed of the mpg
movie.

I would also like to know if there's any better way of
making the movie different from the one that I
described above.

Thanks for any help and your time.
Chaitanya.
Indian Inst. of Science, India.