From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 10:59:38 CDT

Huaer,
  Can you tell us what specific problem your having?
The short list of items to check are:
 1) you read the README file that describes the installation process on Unix
 2) you've set the directories appropriately in the ./configure script
 3) you've run:
    ./configure; cd src; make install;
 4) you've tried to run VMD with /usr/local/bin/vmd or the equivalent based
    on the directories you specified in the ./configure script.
 5) you have a working OpenGL driver installed on your machine, according
    to 'glxinfo' at a minimum. (i.e. no warnings of missing GLX or something)
 6) if VMD fails to start, you've tried doing this to see if it runs in
    text-only mode (eliminating your graphics system from the equation to
    narrow down the source of your problem):
      vmd -dispdev text

Let us know which part you're having trouble with.