From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 16:23:11 CST

Hi,
  It sounds to me like you've got a flaky video driver. If you're
using an NVidia or ATI card, you'd probably be best off downloading
the device drivers from their respective web sites rather than running
the ones that Xorg ships by default, since in my experience the Xorg
drivers are less reliable. GLX gears is a very simple OpenGL program,
and it doesn't exercise any of the advanced OpenGL features required
for programs like VMD to run. You may also want to try running VMD in a
substantially less graphically agressive mode as a very short-term solution,
though you'll be getting lower performance and lower quality graphics as
a result, this may avoid crashing the driver since it won't use the more
advanced OpenGL functions:
  setenv VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS 1

If that doesn't help, then you'll have no choice but to change
your Xserver/driver/kernel versions to get a more stable combination.