From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 16:08:25 CST

Hi Luis, Nicolas,
  Regarding your questions about viewing virus structures:
Yes, I've rendered some huge virus structures with VMD. :-)
The main issue with this is that MSMS doesn't like calculating
surfaces for molecules with large holes in them (like virus structures)
so you have to convince MSMS to do it by making a separate MSMS
representation for each of the subunits. (irritating, I know...)
This problem has nothing to do with a machine limitation, this
is just how MSMS works. You should email Michel Sanner if
you have ideas or suggestions for getting MSMS to work better for
structures of this size.

We've got a variety of visualization machines in our lab here.
The main issue when working with huge structures is that you
have an adequate amount of RAM, and that you're running an OS
that actually lets you use it for VMD. All of our visualization
machines are now 64-bit processors running either Solaris or Linux
on them. (Solaris on the Sparc machines and Linux on the AMD Opterons)

Most of the desktops used by our researchers are now Sun W2100z Opteron
boxes with 4GB or 8GB of ram, running Red Hat Linux (RHEL3u4). Our
machines for sterescopic display are mostly Sun workstations with 4GB
of ram and one with 32GB. There's a list of the equipment we use here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Development/Computers/systems.html

All of these machines easily cope with the 1-4 million atom system sizes
you mention, though the display update rate depends heavily on the
representations you're using etc.