From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 10:03:16 CST

Nicolas,
  I've loaded 4 million atoms into VMD before with no problems.
VMD was capable of loading systems of that size even several years ago,
the practical limit is available RAM and your own tolerance for rendering
speed honestly. Be aware that when you work with systems of this size,
you'll need a very fast graphics board if you want to view such large
structures with space filling representations. When working with million-plus
atom structures, I'd suggest becoming familiar with the "points"
representation as that's even easier on the graphics board and host
machine than "lines" is. That being said, it's really no big deal to
load a several million atom structure in VMD, the main question is how
much of the structure you want to see at once. If you want to try a structure
of this size, you can easily use the "solvate" plugin to create a HUGE
water box as a test case for your own experimentation. I've also got some
virus and assembly structures that are in the 500,000 to 2,000,000
atom range if you want to play with something more interesting than just
a huge water box. If you need more help with this, let me know, I can
certainly give you some tips to help keep the demands on your visualization
machine minimized to the degree possible.