From: Justin Gullingsrud (justinrocks_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 11:40:52 CST

Hi,

VMD 1.8.3 will work only with Numeric Python version 22. Try
installing that instead and let us know if you continue to encounter
problems.

Thanks,
Justin

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:22:05 -0600, Shatadal Ghosh
<shatadal_ghosh_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using VMD 1.8.3 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. I was interested in
> running IED. To do so I downloaded Numeric Python 23.8 from the sourceforge
> site and installed it to ~/numpy. I have python 2.2.3 installed locally. I
> have also set the environment variable
> PYTHONPATH=~/numpy/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Numeric/. ">>> import
> Numeric" gives me no error implying python can find Numeric. However I get
> the following error

> vmd > gopython /usr/local/lib/vmd/plugins/noarch/python/ied/ied.py
> Info) Starting Python...
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> Could not find Numeric Python version 22.0.
> Info) Text interpreter now Python
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "VMD", line 19, in ?
> ImportError: No module named vmdnumpy
> Info) Text interpreter now Tcl
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<string>", line 1, in ?
> File "/usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/python/Tkinter.py", line 59, in ?
> import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
> ImportError: No module named _tkinter
>
> The Tkinter manual says that "You don't need to download Tkinter - it's an
> integral part of all Python distributions" and I have Tkinter at
> /usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/python/
>
> The following gives no error

> vmd > gopython
> Info) Text interpreter now Python

> However the following gives me another error

> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "VMD", line 1, in ?
> File "/usr/local/lib/vmd/plugins/noarch/python/ied/ied.py", line 19, in ?
> import molecule,vmdcallbacks,vmdnumpy,trans,animate,graphics
> ImportError: No module named vmdnumpy

> The manual says that this about vmdnumpy "This optional module is made
> available from within the toplevel VMD module if VMD detects a Numeric
> Python installation in the Python search path."
>
> What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to make IED work?
>
> Thanks,
> Shatadal.

> Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee(r)

The spirit of Plato dies hard.  We have been unable to escape the
philosophical tradition that what we can see and measure in the world
is merely the superficial and imperfect representation of an
underlying reality.
                -- S.J. Gould, "The Mismeasure of Man"