From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 11:07:42 CST

Jerome,
  It isn't possible with the released versions of VMD as I only just finished
the necessary 3-D texturing code to make that possible for both orthogonal
and non-orthogonal volumetric datasets before releasing VMD 1.8.3. The
VolumeSlice rep still uses a different method of 3-D texturing that isn't
as well suited to that as I'd like. My goal is to merge the 3-D texturing
code used by the VolumeSlice rep with the 'color by volume' code, and once
I've distilled them down to a cleaner, shared implementation, then I should
be able to allow arbitrary volume slice planes, and provide a means to
color user-drawn geometry with volumetric data.

  John