From: Axel Kohlmeyer (axel.kohlmeyer_at_theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 03:39:48 CST

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Dallas Warren wrote:

hi dallas,

DW> I have just been updating my kernel and graphics drivers (ATI FireGL X1
DW> 256). Not surprisingly something didn't work too well. Anyway, the text
DW> window opens up and it appears to get to the CPU detection stage, but
DW> anything beyond that I can't see as it crashes some how and the window
DW> disappears.
DW>
DW> What is the way to find out what the error actually is?

try starting the vmd_LINUX (from mentioning the kernel update,
i assume you are running linux) binary directly. you will get
a lot of warnings about missing environment variables and improper
initialization, but you'll also get the important info about
VMD querying the X11 driver for supported options.

you can also change the vmd script to now spawn an xterm at all,
by replacing the block starting from

# if DISPLAY is set, spawn off...

to the end of the script with:

exec "$VMDDIR/$execname" $*

regards,
        axel.

DW> Catch ya,
DW>
DW> Dr. Dallas Warren
DW> Lecturer
DW> Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology
DW> Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University
DW> 381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3010
DW> dallas.warren_at_vcp.monash.edu.au
DW> +61 3 9903 9083
DW> When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer   e-mail: axel.kohlmeyer_at_theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Lehrstuhl fuer Theoretische Chemie          Phone: ++49 (0)234/32-26673
Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum - NC 03/53         Fax:   ++49 (0)234/32-14045
D-44780 Bochum  http://www.theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/~axel.kohlmeyer/