From: Jérôme Hénin (jerome.henin_at_uhp-nancy.fr)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 13:59:19 CST

Hi Nicolas,

Apparently, some of the water molecules cross the limit of the periodic box,
and they are wrapped to the other side in the next frame. To smooth the
trajectories, VMD interpolates coordinates between successive frames, thus
creating an artificial situation where water appears in the middle of the
dodecane phase.

The simple solutions I can see are either not to use trajectory smoothing for
water, or not to wrap water coordinates back into the unit cell. If you only
have data with wrapped coordinates, it should be possible to 'unwrap' them.

Cheers,
Jerome

--
Jérôme Hénin
Equipe de Dynamique des Assemblages Membranaires