From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 10:03:35 CST

Yes, adding 3-D texturing the the external renderers is tricky because
with the exception of Tachyon (which I can modify any way I want, though
I prefer not to do "ugly" things to it), all other packages will require
VMD to export the 3-D texture data in a supplementary file or files.
This breaks the model that VMD has been using for communicating with
external renderers for a long time, as the current system assumes that
the scene can be fully described with a single output file. In order to
handle 3-D texture mapping, I'm going to have to make changes to the
rendering interface in VMD, and adapt it to generating complete sets of
scene files. This will probably require breaking backwards compatibility
with the old rendering commands, so I wasn't ready to jump into this just
yet. For Tachyon I could make an exception and teach Tachyon to read
3-D texture data inline within the scene description file, so it's reasonable
to expect to see 3-D texturing in Tachyon soonest, since I don't have to
solve the VMD side of the problem in order to get it working in Tachyon.

  John