From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 11:29:42 CST

Lubos,
  At present, VMD's atom selection language ignores PBC and only
does calculations against the loaded coordinates. We are interested
in extending VMD to include such functionality, but it isn't available
yet. In order to do this type of calculation presently, you'd need to
do custom scripting. Some people have written such scripts already,
so it's doable, though we'd like to add some of the low-level calculations
into VMD so that the heavy lifting isn't being done via scripting languages.