From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 13:55:58 CST

Luis,
  Before you try running VMD to the alternate display, make sure
you can open an xterm there first. I.e.:
  setenv DISPLAY :0.0
  xterm &
  setenv DISPLAY machine:2.0
  xterm &

If you don't get both xterms, then you may be specifying the display
name incorrectly. In fact, "machine:2.0" is an unusual display number,
typically only found on machines that have multiple _consoles_ (keyboard/mice)
and not just multiple displays. If you have a machine that has a single
console but two displays, you'd typically use a display name like this:
  setenv DISPLAY machine:0.1

Let me know if you need more help with this.