From: Blake Charlebois (bdc_at_mie.utoronto.ca)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2005 - 17:04:58 CST

Thank you. Here is Ilya Balabin's reply:

-----

Hi Blake,

this is a good question. In fact, this is the question of the water
density in equilibrium - as you say, one can use the actual (observed
in experiments) density, or TIP3 water density, or something else. In
the plugin, I used the density observed in simulations done in the TBG
a few years ago using NAMD2 and the Charmm22 forcefield (TIP3 water),
which translated to 31.05 cubic Angstroms per molecule. This density
led to the coefficient of 0.0187, which differs by 2% from the number
you get for the TIP3 water. The 2% accuracy for ionic concentration
appears to me sufficient for virtually all practical purposes - unless
one simulates a system that is extraordinary sensitive to the ionic
concentration... but such a system would be very sensitive to other
details of MD simulations as well.

This is how the number of ions is calculated in the autoionize plugin:

N_ions = N_A * ionConc(Mol/l) * volume(l)
N_A = 6.022e23
volume(l) = volume_per_water_molecule(l) * nWater
volume_per_water_molecule = 31.05A^3 = 3.105e-26l
N_ions = 6.022e23 * 3.105e-26 * ionConc * nWater
       = 0.0187 * ionConc * nWater

Yes I would appreciate posting of this to the VMD-l mailing list.

John thanks for the reference! :)

Regards,
Ilya

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."