From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 17:01:31 CST

Chris,
  The "select_method" parameter is just the textual atom selection you
intend to use for the representation you're modifying. So, for something
where you only want the C-alpha atoms to be drawn, you'd do:
  mol modselect 0 0 "name CA"

If you have questions about VMD's use of atom selection in general,
there's a good bit of discussion about it in the User's Guide:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8.2/ug/node76.html#4757
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8.2/ug/node107.html#6234
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8.2/ug/node176.html#12947

Let us know if you need more help with this.