From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 28 2004 - 10:46:02 CST

Hi guys,
  I suspect you've triggered one of the bugs in Surf by sending it
such a large surface. My only suggestion would be to separately
calculate surfaces for the virus components. Virus structures seem
to cause problems for both Surf and MSMS in the tests I've done previously,
and the only way I was personally able to get either program to behave
well was to separately calculate surfaces for the various identical
subunits in the virus. I made an MSMS surface for a virus of the same
size you're trying by creating 60 MSMS reps, one for each piece of
the virus. That will work, but you will end up with a very very large
collection of triangulated geometry, so I hope you have a fast video card.