From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 21:02:23 CST

Hi,
  It is possible to draw a color scale bar in VMD using a script:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/colorscalebar/

The only issue with applying this technique to the volume slice
representation is that in VMD 1.8.3, the volume slice rep doesn't
reflect that active VMD color scale, it uses one of several built-in
coloring methods, so a special version of that color bar script would
need to be written for the built-in coloring schemes. VMD 1.8.3 will
allow you to color by the active color scale, so it's possible to use
this script as-is with no modifications in that case. If you're in a
hurry, it might be simplest for me to let you have a copy of one of
the test versions of VMD 1.8.3 as I don't currently have time to write
a special version of that color bar script for the old versions.

Thanks,