From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 06 2004 - 12:41:30 CST

Hi,
  You can't do stereo at all with standard LCD displays, just
so you're aware. (i.e. none of the apple screens...)
In order to do stereo on a Mac, you're options include:
  - Scanline-interleaved stereo using Eye3D stereo shutter glasses
    and a standard high-res CRT display.
    This is an inexpensive option and is well supported by VMD.

  - DTI autostereoscopic LCD panels using DTI "side by side" mode
    supported by VMD, requires VMD's graphics window to be maximized.
    Workable, but not ideal on a Mac. On PC's one would use the normal
    VMD "CrystalEyes" stereo mode.

  - Full-screen stereo (supported by PyMol but not VMD, don't know
    about other packages, not very useful for programs with a normal GUI
    such as VMD or Chimera)

I'd suggest going with something like the Eye3D glasses and a
standard CRT display. This is the least expensive option, and
if/when Apple finally releases support for frame-sequential
stereo rendering in their OpenGL drivers, you'll immediately
be able to switch the mode of the glasses and get twice the
vertical resolution.

  John