From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 13:49:56 CDT

Lars,
  I understand the problem with the compiled installation files.
The problem is that I don't have time to build VMD binaries with
Python 2.3 at present, at least not for a couple weeks due to things
going on here. Since it sounds like you're in a hurry, my suggestion
in the short term is to do one of:
  a) compile your own VMD from source code, against your
     local Python 2.3 installation

  b) compile and install a separate Python 2.2 installation for use by
     the VMD 1.8.x binaries we've released previously

I will eventually have a chance to upgrade our VMD builds to use
Python 2.3, but if you want a solution right now, those are
probably your two best options. This is one of the reasons we
make source releases of VMD, there's no way I can keep up with
all of the minor releases of Tcl/Python/Numeric/FLTK/VRPN/etc, it's
a hopeless pursuit. If people want/need to use the latest versions
of these libraries before we have time to make a well-tested release,
they are free to compile their own versions until I have a chance
to rebuild our local libraries on all platforms. I typically avoid
doing library upgrades like this unless I have several days that I
can burn working around unanticipated problems with new library
versions. Often the problems only occur on one platform, and almost
always it's my least favorite one to deal with, Win32 :-)

  John