From: Bogdan Costescu (bogdan.costescu_at_IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 09:11:15 CDT

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Fernandez-Alonso, F (Felix) wrote:

> I would like to know if somebody out there has already tried installing VMD
> on LINUX running Fedora Core 2.

I didn't due to stability issues with FC2 and Nvidia's lateness in
producing working drivers...

> From the installation notes, I understand XFree86 is a prerequisite
> yet Fedora does not seem to support this package.

XFree86 is the name of the X server package. Some months ago, there
was an internal fight between the XFree86 developers and some of them
went away, maintaining now X.org. Due to licensing concerns, most (if
not all) Linux distributions that were released recently use this
instead of XFree86. Functionally, they should be close, as X.org
started from the XFree86 sources; in time however they will most
probably diverge.

VMD needs an X server and both XFree86 and X.org provide this.

--
Bogdan Costescu
Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868