From: Justin Gullingsrud (justin_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 13 1999 - 13:37:00 CDT

Charles,

One of the original developers would have to answer you with regard
to the intent of this feature, but as far as getting the behavior
you want, you can just move one or more of the molecules using the
Pick Item Mode -> MoveMolecule popup menu off the right mouse button.
After you move the molecules, they will still rotate about the same
axis. But you are right that if you fix, translate, and then unfix,
the axes are different. Guessing which one does which might not have
been intuitively obvious, but now you know how to do both.

Thanks for using VMD!

Justin Gullingsrud
justin_at_ks.uiuc.edu