From: root (root_at_liposome.genebee.msu.su)
Date: Sat Nov 29 1997 - 07:38:28 CST

Dear VMD users,

I am currently trying to set up VMD on the local K6/200 RedHat 4.2 Linux
box for a remote NAMD run visualization and generic MIME structure
browser. Alas, after having installed the (tarball of a binary)
distribution, vmd says in the xterm window:

Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "Orchid"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "red3"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "green3"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "yellow3"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "blue3"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "magenta3"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "cyan3"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "gray90"

and flashes what I think must be a console window at the lower right edge
of the CRT. When run from a text console, it complains

/usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX: can't load library 'libtclx.so'

which imo does not seem a true problem since:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Nov 23 00:40 /usr/lib/libtclx.so -> libtclx.so.76.0

My XFree86 is running in 8 bit mode (the S3v chipset I have has not
accelerated truecolor support yet). Is this a possible source of the
problem?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Eugene Leitl