From: Kiraly Andras (andras_at_chaos.hupe.hu)
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 18:35:26 CDT

Dear VMD users!

I'm sure somebody could help me with this problem:
I've got VMD1.2b installed on my SGI Indigo2 (IRI5.3) and the utilities babel
and chemical2vmd in /usr/local/bin

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root user 317372 Jan 13 12:09 babel
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root user 4238 Jan 14 16:24 chemical2vmd

In the Netscape/Options/GenaralPrefs/Helpers section I wrote:

chemical/x-mol mol chemical2vmd mol %s
chemical/x-xyz xyx chemical2vmd xyz %s
...etc..., as suggested in the Readme file.

I went to the page "http://chem.leeds.ac.uk/Project/MIME.html" to test my
settings, and click on the little buckminsterfullerene image to download the
xyz model into VMD.

VMD started to run and in the vmd-console I see:
Info) Reading commands from '/usr/tmp/chemical2vmd.28967AA'.
Info) Reading commands from '/usr/local/lib/vmd/.vmdrc'.
Info) EOF encountered for current input file.
/usr/local/bin: Cannot execute

ERROR) Unable to use Babel to convert to PDB format. Check that Babel is
installed on your system,
ERROR) and that VMDBABELBIN is set to the location of the Babel executable.
Info) EOF encountered for current input file.

In my .cshrc file there're the lines:
> #Babel directory
> setenv BABEL_DIR /usr/local/lib/babel

> #Babel with VMD
> setenv VMDBABELBIN /usr/local/bin

The main problem for me: what does "/usr/local/bin: Cannot execute" means? It's
a directory, isn't it? How would it be executable? I've tried "/usr/local/bin/"
too, but as I know the first one is the correct (without the last "/").

I've tried it with some 'mol' files too, and the result is the same (I'm not
surprised).

Have you got any ideas? I'm sure it's some simple configuration problem.

Thanks for your time,
Andras.

--
* Kiraly Andras              *