From: Brian Corrie (bcorrie_at_cs.anu.edu.au)
Date: Wed Apr 16 1997 - 01:16:40 CDT

Hi,

I just downloaded the VMD package and I will have to say it looks most
impressive from my initial investigations... I downloaded both the binary
version and the source code versions. I am running on an R10000 Max Impact and
the binary version worked without a hitch. I am thinking of doing some
hacking on VMD though (more to come on that later) so I also downloaded the
source code version. After some twiddling of some parameters and downloading
the appropriate libraries I get a relatively clean compile...

When I run the compiled version, everything works fine EXCEPT when I try to
use the right mouse button for a menu I get an X protocol error saying there
are invalid attributes to an X polygon routine and the program exits. Has
anyone experienced this behaviour before? If it is something obvious please
let me know, otherwise I can send more details. The compile I get is clean
except for the yacc and lex errors and a couple of variable defined and not
used errors. The link is a bit more suspicious, as I get the following errors:

Linking vmd_IRIX5 ...
C++ prelinker: warning: could not locate library -lforms; assuming
/usr/lib/libf
orms.a
ld: WARNING 84: /usr/lib/libl.a is not used for resolving any symbol.
ld: WARNING 85: definition of _calloc in /usr/lib/libmalloc.so preempts that
def
inition in /usr/lib/libc.so.
ld: WARNING 85: definition of _cfree in /usr/lib/libmalloc.so preempts that
defi
nition in /usr/lib/libc.so.
ld: WARNING 85: definition of _malloc in /usr/lib/libmalloc.so preempts that
def
inition in /usr/lib/libc.so.
ld: WARNING 85: definition of _realloc in /usr/lib/libmalloc.so preempts that
de
finition in /usr/lib/libc.so.
ld: WARNING 85: definition of _free in /usr/lib/libmalloc.so preempts that
defin
ition in /usr/lib/libc.so.

I don't understand the C++ prelinker complaint as the a forms library does
exist in one of the directories pointed at by my -L options.

To get the link to work properly, I also had to add a -lGL command following
the -lforms option as there were some glX functions that were unresloved in
the forms package...

I am compiling with the options IRIX5 OPENGL FORMS TCL SURF OPTIMIZE

The X error I get is:

X error of failed request: Bad Match (invalid parameter attribute)
Major opcode of failed request: 70 (X_PolyFillRectangle)
etc...

Anyway, any thoughts or brilliant insights would be greatly appreciated. I am
not an expert on the intricacies of compiling on SGI boxes so I may just be
doing something silly. I don't know how vital the link errors are...

Thanks in advance,

        Brian