From: Kung, Ryan (rwk929_at_mail.usask.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 29 2024 - 09:54:53 CST

Hello,

I am having some problems with generating movies using vmd on windows. Once I make the representation how I desire, I use the movie maker extension to generate the images over the trajectory. The problem is that vmd crashes in the middle of rendering the frames. I am using the Snapshot render but it also crashes for other renders I have tried. Most of the time, vmd simply closes without warning. It happens on different frames when I repeat the process. The image files are generated up to that point and vmd sometimes closes in the middle of saving a image file, causing it to be unreadable. I most recently got the following error message:

    while executing
"render snapshot $imgfilename"
    (procedure "renderframe" line 25)
    invoked from within
"renderframe $basefilename"
    (procedure "genframes_trajectory" line 34)
    invoked from within
"genframes_trajectory "
    (procedure "::MovieMaker::buildmovie" line 78)
    invoked from within
"::MovieMaker::buildmovie"
    invoked from within
".movie.goabort.gobutton invoke"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list $w invoke]"
    (procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 24)
    invoked from within
"tk::ButtonUp .movie.goabort.gobutton"
    (command bound to event)

The rendering stopped and would no longer work in snapshot mode. Changing it to internal tachyon renderer made it save a handful of frames (less than 20) before it crashed and closed the program without warning.

Thanks for your help.