From: Gianluca Interlandi (gianluca_at_u.washington.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2023 - 15:01:03 CDT

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the reply. My question is also about the clients. Do the
clients from which you connect also have NVIDIA with proprietary drivers
installed? What I'm trying to figure out is whether remote openGL (VMD)
works if both server and client have NVIDIA GPUs both with the proprietary
drivers installed.

I am using VMD 1.8.7 and 1.9.2b21, both with the same result.

> Have you considered using a remote desktop solution instead of ssh? Over
> here we use Nice DCV.

I am considering such an option. My understanding is that rdesktop works
only to connect to a windows server. Is Nice DCV included in major
distributions? Right now I am using `sshfs` to mount the remote directory
and then start VMD locally.

Thanks!

      Gianluca

On Thu, 2 Nov 2023, Diego Gomes wrote:

> Hi Gianluca, although I can't help with the X error, I can confirm the issue
> with VMD.Can you please share which VMD version you are using?
>
> For me it works very well when I ssh -X to our head-node, which does not contain a
> dedicated GPU, while using vmd 1.9.3 and 1.9.4a55. It fails with vmd 1.9.4a58.
> For any other machine the OpenGl windows fails either using "ssh -X" or "ssh -Y", vmd
> 1.9.3, 1.9.4a55, and 1.9.4a58.
> XRequest.130: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) 0x3600090
>
> Machines are Ubuntu 2022.04.2, the ones with GPU have Nvidia Driver Version:
> 530.30.02  CUDA Version: 12.1.
>
> Have you considered using a remote desktop solution instead of ssh? Over here we use
> Nice DCV.
>
> Friendly regards,
> Diego.

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca_at_u.washington.edu
                     +1 (206) 685 4435
                     https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://gianluca.today/__;!!DZ3fjg!9dM36IdGRdmFnQn3PC8kwCuiFnDlXnfxOoFtpV827RN1u-glDiSMsPpDwciy4mJV-EBmLoJs4veR78k8SzpAuMU3FOU$

Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.