From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 09:55:29 CDT

Manuel,
  VMD is forced to "guess" various atom information in absence of
file formats that provide this information. At present, only
PSF, and PARM files provide mass and charge information, for example.
VMD has a very small lookup table for a few common atoms, when a PSF
or PARM file is not supplied, but as you've discovered, this doesn't
cover the entire periodic table, nor the alternate atom names used by
various simulation packages. You can use a simple script to set the atomic
properties for atoms that aren't correctly recognized by VMD when using
a file format that doesn't provide this information. Let us know if you
need more help with this.