From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 15:58:40 CDT

Adam,
  It sounds like you essentially want to do an IMD simulation where all
of the atoms are fixed except the selected "entity". That'd behave
like what you're describing, and would be quite fast. You should be
able to do this pretty easily using the AutoIMD plugin, though you may
want to use the latest versions since it has been improved a lot since
1.8.2. Even using the older versions of VMD or without AutoIMD, this
is just a question of setting the majority of your simulated structure
fixed in the simulation, and then you can do as you describe.