From: Michael Robinson (michael.robinson1_at_monash.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2022 - 08:53:11 CDT

Hi Amanda,

Josh has provided an alternative way to get what you need, but for the sake
of completeness I'll provide my answer as well. When it comes to deleting
selected chains, I think the easiest way would be just to create a
selection that doesn't include the chains you want deleted, and then use
writepdb and writepsf to create files without them present. If you just
want the analysis to only run on your chain of interest, we should just be
able to tweak the analysis script to only run on that chain. In either
case, we need to be able to tell VMD what areas you're interested in and
what areas you aren't. If the chains are identical in amino acid sequence,
but aren't connected to each other with a covalent linkage when you view it
in VMD with the .psf file loaded, we can do that pretty easily. Instead of
using resid or resname to select the chain of interest, we can use the atom
index - simply go to the chain you want to run analysis on in VMD, select
one of the atoms, and look in the console you opened VMD from. It'll list
some information about the atom there, including the index of the atom - a
unique number for any given atom in your .pdb file.

Then, the selection "same fragment as index [number here]" should be able
to select only your chain of interest. You can either write out a file with
only that chain and the water and ions (set sel [atomselect top "(same
fragment as index xyz) or water or ions"), or just change the protein
selection in your script to "same fragment as index xyz". If your system
has covalent bonds between the chains, a different approach will be needed.

Regards,
Michael Robinson