From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2022 - 07:55:56 CDT

Hi Joe, most people by now are using the rolling alpha releases of 1.9.4 as
their production version of VMD. 1.9.3 is far behind not only in terms of
features that were added later, but also bugs that were fixed in 1.9.4 but
are still there in 1.9.3.

Some of these improvements directly affect fftk, which you say you are
using significantly. (For example, you can now also use ORCA and do not
strictly require Gaussian any more.)

You have an older Linux distribution (an LTS release supported only until
next May), but the VMD official Linux builds from the UIUC webpage are
generally produced with portability to older Linux releases in mind.
Sometimes this comes at the cost of sacrificing newer features, so I
suggest at least you give 1.9.4 a try ;-)

Giacomo