From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 17:56:07 CDT

Oliver,
  At present there's no easy way of doing this in VMD, as VMD
assumes that the atom types remain constant over the course of a
simulation. VMD also requires that number of atoms remain constant
over the course of an MD trajectory, which is another assumption that
may not hold for the type of simulations you're doing. Can you double
check that your XYZ file follows the format described on this page:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/molfile/xyzplugin.html

I've thought about your problem a bit over the last couple days, and
I think that the only reasonable way to get your atoms colored appropriately
is probably going to involved writing scripts to parse your XYZ files for
the atom species data you store there and then modifyin the
per-frame-per-atom "User" attribute for each atom, and setting the
rep to be colored by "User" rather than by atom type. This solves
the coloring parts of your problem, but still does not address
whether the number of atoms per timestep is changing. That's a
harder problem to solve. I've attached a simple example script that
sets the "User" attribute for an atom selection so you can see how
that is done.

I'll be away from email until Sunday, but I hope this is helpful in
the mean time.