From: Daniel Fellner (dfel694_at_aucklanduni.ac.nz)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2022 - 02:04:40 CDT

I've found this to be the case with quite a few drug-like compounds,
particularly ligands for the more lipophilic receptors (cannabinoid,
steroid hormone, etc.). Just a few technical questions: Do all the heavy
atom charges need to be optimised in order to ensure internal consistency?
Or, is it okay to leave some charges which were derived by
water-interactions (presumably) from CGenFF? Some of these charges have low
penalties/low deviations from the QM data.

I did check the NPA charges using HF/6-31G* v.s. wB97X-D/6-311+G** and
there is very little difference, so probably no need to change at this
point (unless it's what's causing me issues in the bonded optimisation...)

In terms of the philosophy, the optimised parameters should reproduce
accurately the PMF of the drug binding. It's a very lipophilic compound -
mostly partitioned into membrane so water interactions aren't critical.
They should also help distinguish the conformational energies for the
purpose of med chem... I'll compare the conformational energies between QM
and MM conformers to validate the latter, and we can get an IR spectrum to
help validate the bonded parameters as well. When it comes to partial
charges though, I'm not sure how I would go about validating those.

One last question: I noticed when optimising the bonded parameters that as
the objective function decreases/converges, the distance of the equilibrium
bond lengths/angles from the QM values increases! Does this behaviour make
sense? I have tried weighting the geometry higher and tightening the
deviation thresholds, but they seem to make little to no difference.

Thanks again,

*Daniel Fellner BSc(Hons)*
PhD Candidate
School of Chemical Sciences