From: Per Larsson (larsson.r.per_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2021 - 14:33:47 CST

Hi all,

I have installed VMD version 1.9.3 on a machine which runs RedHat linux. The machine is a virtual server which I access using Remote Desktop and the rdp-protocol.
The installation itself was ok and the program starts and runs, but the problem is that some of the windows, in particular the ”VMD Main” window have semi-transparent drop-down menus (File, Molecule, Graphics etc…). I say semi-transparent, because the degree of transparency seems to be dependent on the background color. A black background gives almost no transparency, whereas opening the menus against a white background results in almost full transparency making it very hard to read the text.

Upon startup I get the message ”Detected X11 ’Composite’ extension: if incorrect display occurs try disabling this X server option. This seems relevant, but after some googling I have still not been able to identify where I need to look to disable this extension. I am also not sure if the fact that I am using Remote Desktop complicates things. I did reach out to our universities support, and they told me to try asking for help here first. I would appreciate any hints about what I could do to solve this issue.

Kind regards
/Per Larsson, Uppsala University.