From: Gumbart, JC (gumbart_at_physics.gatech.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 04 2021 - 13:39:18 CDT

It’s not that we thought constant pH wouldn’t work, but just that we are not especially familiar with the method. Here’s an example of a study on a related enzyme in which they used it successfully: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://aip.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1063/5.0020458__;!!DZ3fjg!qiAD3f7mt7lc30MuT_0aXrx3MwRRPaAlonE0FSFEs9I85WynxYQ-mzOPINsueH5f3g$

I’m also not sure that constant pH would be shorter than the individual simulations we ran, given that I think (but could be wrong) that it’s slower, plus we would have had to run longer than 20 ns to get anything converged. Not to mention the time it would have taken us to become familiar with the approach and how to use it well.

You have a range of methods to choose from with varying levels of complexity, including just guessing based on the local environment (what we often do!), semi-empirical methods (Schrodinger’s protein preparation wizard may be able to handle nucleic acids? but it’s not free), running multiple simulations to test to different combinations of assignments (you don’t have to be exhaustive - many can be disregarded at the outset), and then constant pH. None of them are necessarily right or wrong and selecting one just depends on the time/accuracy trade-off you want to make.

Best,
JC