From: Smith, Harper E. (smith.12510_at_buckeyemail.osu.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2021 - 13:55:44 CDT

Hi Brian and Jason,

To be more specific about my problem, MP2 gives me a nonplanar guanidinium group, yet with HF it is planar (especially planar with implicit water). I am not a chemistry person, but my labmates have advised me that a bent guanidinium would not be the optimal structure (maybe things are different in vacuum?). On this same topic, could someone help me understand why the FFTK/CHARMM calculations are in vacuum instead of water?

I did try a frequency analysis, which confirms that the structure has converged (based on the final "Converged? YES/NO" table in the Gaussian output).

Looking at some old simulations I have done with CHARMM36m, the arginine guanidinium groups do deviate from planar. Frankly, I doubt that the bending is more extreme in my MP2-optimized structure. But even if the structure is possible, isn't it important to start with something ideal for parameter generation?

Best,
Harper Smith