From: Jason Smith (jason_smith_18_at_sfu.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2021 - 11:04:23 CST

Gaussian has forcefield methods that might be a better starting point, though I don't know if they have something ubiquitous like mmff94 or similar to run with whatever your ligand is. You could use VMD to manually move the waters to more reasonable positions and then run. My personal suggestion would be to move the waters to somewhere reasonable in VMD (can do it with the mouse, there are tutorials around somewhere), and then run something fast to get a good starting point (pm7, sto-3g, many free programs around like mopac, discovery studio), then use those coords for the fftk steps.

Note that I believe fftk optimisation relies on the user having sampled the water binding spots sufficiently well, so someone with more experience on the fftk side of things might have a safer idea.

Cheers,

-
Jason Smith
Post-Doctoral Fellow
Robert N. Young Lab, Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, V5A-1S6
Canada