From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 10:13:25 CDT

Axel,
  To my knowledge there is nothing wrong with the periodic image
display feature in regards to non-orthogonal unit cells, but it is
correct that VMD doesn't handle unit cells that require symmetry
operations to be applied. The PBC display feature works with simple
unit cells that are packed along the x/y/z axes, via simple translations.
If non-translational symmetry is required, VMD cannot display that sort of
periodic cell. Looking at Kieth's image, I do not immediately see what's
wrong, perhaps he's getting a different result than I am, or I've misunderstood
what he expects the structure to look like. On my machine, I see what seems
to match his description of what he expects, so I'd like to find out
exactly what the problem is that he's having.

As well, if you're aware of any non-orthogonal periodic cell that does
not display as you'd expect (which consists of only translational
symmetry operations) I'd like to see examples. If you have periodic cells
that require more complex symmetry operations, that will have to wait until
we can parse spacegroup operators and the like.