From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 16:14:01 CDT

Hi Stephen,
  Have you read the VMD compilation instructions here?:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/doxygen/compiling.html#compiling
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/doxygen/compiling.html

The plugins directory is intentionally NOT inside the vmd directory,
as explained in the online Programmer's documentation. You need to do the
"plugin distribution directory" step at the end of that second page above.

Normally you'd then symlink that directory into the vmd directory.
This is likely the reason you're getting all of those plugin startup errors.
Once you get the directory structure fixed I'd expect the problem to go away.

I think it'd be great if you have a VMD addition to the ports tree.
The only tricky part is that due to NIH's tracking requirements, you'll
have to require them to manually download the source rather than doing
an automatic download. If you need help with anything, let me know.

Thanks,