From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_umich.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 07 2020 - 07:31:01 CDT

In *most* cases you should get compatible results because the physics are
*mostly* the same, but there may be some edge cases where differences would
arise -- for example, I'm pretty sure that a bug in long-range vdW
corrections was fixed between 2.9 and 2.13, which would affect the physics
for large systems if you have vdW tail corrections on (you should be able
to see other changes by browsing the release notes). But even if you can't
identify a particular reason why the results would be different, if it were
me, I'd be going out of my way to use a consistent version for all
calculations going into a single study. This might mean a conversation with
the folks administering your cluster to see if they can make the older
version available again as well, or setting up your own installation of 2.9.
Best,
Peter