From: Jason Hogrefe (jason.hogrefe_at_exxactcorp.com)
Date: Mon Mar 16 2020 - 11:52:08 CDT

Little hard to say, but if according to the HW requirements https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node12.html if the main use is for Visualization then go with the 4cores (hyper threaded) with a 1660ti.

“Since the choice of the GPU chipset or card has the biggest impact on the visualization capabilities and performance of VMD, this is the hardware component that is worth spending money on if one's intended use of VMD is primarily focused on visualization related tasks.

Jason Hogrefe
Exxact Corporation | www.exxactcorp.com<https://www.exxactcorp.com/>
Leading HPC and AV Solutions Provider
ISO 9001:2008 Certified