From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 10:28:43 CDT

Dr. Sikorski,
  VMD doesn't implement any space group operators at the present time.
It only implements the most simple degree of support for periodic systems,
primarily suited for MD simulations with periodic boundary conditions.
As yet we don't have the necessary infrastructure for performing more
sophisticated symmetry-based transformations or queries, though this
could be added with some work. At present I don't know enough about
these topics to implement such code myself, so it's unlikely that I'll
get to working on it in the near future. If someone else with experience
in this area would like to help us develop the necessary routines,
that would greatly accelerate the likely pace of development of this type
of feature.

Thanks,