From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 13:52:38 CDT

Karsten,
  The most popular form of stereograms are SIRDS, single image random
dot stereograms. There are lots of free packages out on the internet
for making that variety of stereogram. Since VMD can actually render
stereo pairs, it should be possible to make a true stereo random dot
stereogram by rendering the left and right image views in VMD using
your favorite renderer (snapshot, Tachyon, POV-Ray, etc..), then run
one of these random dot stereogram generator programs on the stereo
pair to get a complete stereogram.

Some of the stereogram generators want depth images.
For those, you'd need to render the VMD scene with a ray tracer
that can emit depth values for each pixel in addition to
the color value. In any case, VMD provides the low-level mechanisms
one needs to do all of this with the built-in "left" and "right" stereo
modes, and with support for the various renderers, the rest will depend
a lot on what stereogram generator program you use. If you've got a
favorite stereogram program you already use, then it should be relatively
simple to write a short Tcl script to generate stereograms from VMD
automatically, and just a bit more work to make a GUI and add it as
a VMD extension similar to the vmdmovie plugin. If someone wants to
do the work of finding a decent stereogram generator, I'd be happy to
give suggestions on implementing a plugin, it should be relatively easy.