From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 13:45:14 CDT

Hi,
  OpenGL doesn't have a means of drawing infinite objects such as
planes or arbitrary equations, so VMD generates all geometry by
drawing triangles, quadrilaterals, lines, and points.

There isn't a drawing primitive for a "plane", but you can easily
draw two large connected triangles to represent a plane:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node114.html

You can make up your own 'draw' commands as described here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node112.html