From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 18:03:15 CDT

Simon,
  The standard VMD transparency mode is implemented using a "screen door"
technique, which is fast, and runs identically well on all platforms.
There is an enhanced transparency mode available on video cards that
support the GlobalAlphaSUN OpenGL extension, but at present I haven't
come across any PC video cards that do this. The next generation
VMD 1.8.3 code contains OpenGL programmable shading software that
does essentially the same thing that the GlobalAlphaSUN extension does,
so assuming you've got a video card that supports programmable shading,
you'll see markedly better transparency on that hardware. Another option
in the mean time is to use ray tracers like Tachyon (built-in), Raster3D,
or POV-Ray to make your VMD images. They all implement usable
transparency modes and can be used with VMD.