From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 10:12:50 CDT

Hi Simon,
  If you have questions about source code, email them to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
since most of the readers of VMD-L aren't actively hacking the code.
Regarding 'tool rot', that appears to be a command that was either
deleted or that was never quite finished quite some time back. The
documentation for it was added in 1999, but the code to implement it
wasn't there as of 2000, so it is quite possible it was either deleted
or never finished in the main VMD tree. The tool commands and GUI are
one of the rougher parts of VMD as you've noticed. If you've got a
'tool info' patch you'd like to see applied to the source code, email
it to me and I'll have a look. I'll have to see what to do about the
documentation, since you pointed this out I found a number of minor
glitches in the docs all relating to this section of code.

Thanks,