From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 14:21:20 CDT

Cesar,
  It sounds to me like the file permissions on /dev/ttyS0 are
too restrictive. Make sure you can open the serial port as a
normal user. The easiest way to cure that is to set the serial
port permissions with 'chmod 666 /dev/ttyS0' as root.
That ought to cure the problem opening the device.
If you're still having problems, please email me the exact error
text that gets printed so I can track down which part of the
code is generating the error.