From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 09:21:44 CDT

Hi Eugen,
  Regarding various methods for volume rendering, the openqvis package
you reference appears to be a hardware accelerated implmentation that
immitates a ray casting method as far as the type of images it produces go.
At present, VMD provides isosurface extraction mechanisms and textured
slicing planes, and in VMD 1.8.3 one can also texture any molecular
representation by volumetric data (i.e. to make GRASP-like pictures
like this one:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/apbsrun/

I've already started working on beefing up VMD's support for
OpenGL shading language in hopes of using it to perform real-time
ray casting on volumetric datasets, provide greatly improved interactive
shading, and so on. I've already implemented a simple phong shader
for VMD that generates stunningly good looking images that still render
within 10% of the speed of standard OpenGL, but with quality that looks
more like what you'd expect from a ray tracer. Here are two example
images I've made with the current test version of VMD that illustrate
some of what I'm hoping to get out of using OpenGL Shading Language
in VMD.

Standard "Surf" image from VMD:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/images/collections/openglshader/2004/normal.jpg

"Surf" image rendered with the new OpenGL Shading Language code in VMD:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/images/collections/openglshader/2004/glsl.jpg

I have a bunch of older test images I did with an older version of the code
here as well, if you'd like to see more variety:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/images/collections/openglshader/2003/jpeg/

I haven't implemented a ray caster for rendering volumetric datasets yet,
but that's definitely on the list of things I want to do eventually. :-)