From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 20:26:54 CDT

Dear Wei,
  Probably the best means for getting a very high resolution image
for use in a publication would be to render using one of the supported
ray tracing packages such as Tachyon, POV-Ray, or Raster3D, producing
a high resolution Targa image. Once you have a high resolution Targa
image, you can convert to your favorite PS, EPS, PDF from there.
Most of the ray tracers have a way to greatly increase the resolution
of the rendered image either by editing the scene file (Tachyon) or
by specifying image resolution on the renderer command line (P0V-Ray etc).
Let us know if you need more help with this.

Thanks,