From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 10:06:48 CDT

Dieter,
  This sounds like a problem with the 'Surf' application.
I'm trying a modified version of Surf locally and may have a new
version for you to try on your machine. We didn't write it, but over
the years we've found/fixed a few bugs in it anyway. The ideal solution
would be to use MSMS for a large structure like that, but the Windows
version of MSMS doesn't support socket connections and thus doesn't work
with VMD presently. Even MSMS occasionally has problems with very large
structures. One way to avoid these problems is to make separate surface
representations for each subunit of the virus, if there are subunits.
(look to see if they have different segnames, chains, etc and write a
 Tcl script to generate a Surf rep for each one rather than for the
 entire structure)

I've been somewhat frustrated with the behavior of the surface calculation
tools on large structures, but as they are outside of my area of expertise
I doubt I'd be able to write one that performs better than the existing ones.
If anyone knows of other solvent accessible/excluded surface calculation
tools that work better, I'd be glad to hear about them.