From: Vlad Cojocaru (vlad.cojocaru_at_mpi-muenster.mpg.de)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2017 - 07:40:45 CST

Dear all,

I am experiencing a very awkward problem. I have a new Dell high end
workstation (Precision 7810). On this machine VMD (both 1.9.2 and 1.9.3,
either compiled from source or downloaded as pre-compiled binaries is
extremely slow. Practically, even loading a simple PDB (3000 atoms) and
drawing as New Cartoon with resolution 50 almost freezes the VMD window,
almost no rotation is possible anymore. This machine has a Quadro M4000
graphics card (see details below). For a comparison my older
workstations with exactly same OS, same configurations but with GeForce
GTX950 or Quadro K4000 all VMD executables tested (the same as on the
new machine) run with no speed issues whatsoever.

Has anyone experienced anything similar ? Are there some simple tests
one can do to pinpoint the potential issue ?

Best wishes
Vlad

Some details:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 64 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro M4000 (driver 375.26, CUDA 8.0.44)
OS:OpenSUSE 42.2 (x86_64)

--
Vlad Cojocaru, Ph.D., Project Group Leader
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology